Saturday 12 September 2009

Adamu Adamu answered well

I never thought that my write-up titled “Questions Adamu Adamu needs to answer” published in Daily Trust of 9/07/09 will generate some sort of controversies by chains of reactions and counter reactions from Mallam Adamu himself and others.

Mallam Adamu Adamu took time to reply my questions in series of articles titled “Talking silly on Bauchi (i) and (ii) published on 24/7/09 and 31/07/09 respectively. Even though Adamu said “ Some of the issues raised in the write-up don’t make much sense at all” referring to me, but all readers of his replies will refer to his articles as “ Talking sense on Bauchi”.

In the former article Adamu mistook my write-up as an attempt by me to ridicule, smear and attack his personality, thereby he responded to my questions harshly and if he had responded to my questions in the second article firstly, it would have not generated controversy. That will involve the responses of John Danfulani, Yusuf Gamawa and Hamisu Gumel in the first place.

Though I am not a journalist, but am not also a quack in issues relating to good governance and democracy as a Political Scientist. And I feel that I have been vindicated by Adamu himself, when he said “And in any case, it is not clear why my views on Bauchi state should assume the importance they seem to have for him”. But in his last article he himself admitted that Governor Isa Yuguda sought for his views when he was about to decamp and so also, Alhaji Garba Gadi asked for his opinion whether he should resign or not. Only a very influential citizen of a state that both a governor and his deputy will seek for his opinion on what to do.

When my write-up was published and Adamu’s subsequent response, I received a lot of mails and text messages with various reactions. Many people took time to send me mails showing their appreciation for my posing questions to Adamu Adamu as they, like me, have been looking forward to know what are his views on Bauchi state politics with Governor Isa Yuguda on saddle.

While some people that branded themselves as disciples of Adamu Adamu accused me of running a campaign to smear the image and credibility of their idol just because he refused to grant me some favours I sought from him when I was serving in Abuja so many years ago. Some among them even held me responsible for Danfulani’s article as if he is running an errand for me.

It is not in my habit to write for the purpose of smearing the reputation of anyone or group, but rather to propagate for good governance, justice, unity, equity e.t.c for the betterment of our democracy and great nation.

Though this write-up is not meant as a rejoinder to Adamu, but I will like to draw his attention to what he said to me “In any case, nothing prevents the critic from doing what he accused me of not doing”. A day after my write-up was published, seeking for his answers, my write-up titled “Who’s intimidating Bauchi ANPP? Was published on Weekly Trust of 11/7/09 . So it is not that am accusing Adamu Adamu of what even myself did not do.

Even as my questions to Adamu Adamu do not make “Sense” they have led many to know his own side of the story on so many issues in regard to Bauchi state and an opportunity on his side to tell the world.

In answering Shehu Chaji’s questions we came to know that Mallam Adamu Adamu refused the offer to serve as Secretary to Bauchi state government, which I doubt very few people will not jump at such juicy appointment. Mallam Adamu Adamu also informed Governor Isa Yuguda to his face that if he decamps “he would lose whatever political mutumci he had and the state would be out of his control”. He also informed his readers that General Muhammadu Buhari did for Mallam Isa Yuguda something he had not done for any other ANPP gubernatorial candidate, after endorsing him took time off his own campaign and went round all but one of Bauchi’s 20 local governments for him.

We also came to know that Malam Adamu Adamu is bitter with the way and manner Governor Isa Yuguda talked about General Buhari even though he knew how close Adamu and Buhari are. And we also know that Alhaji Garba Gadi sought for his opinion to resign or not, and Adamu Adamu advised the Deputy Governor not to resign under any circumstances.

These and more are what Mallam Adamu Adamu informed his readers. If I had not posed those questions to him he may never have said a lot about all those one on one issues with key players of Bauchi state politics. I deserve a pat on the back by Adamu for giving him this wonderful opportunity to say his mind.
My write-up on Adamu Adamu was made in good faith without any iota of giving anybody or group the slightest opportunity to smear his name or reputation. And if tomorrow there is the need again for me to pose such questions to Adamu Adamu I will definitely do it, and without any fear, sentiment or favour.

And as for me, Shehu Mustapha Chaji , am convinced satisfactorily with his answers in Talking sense on Bauchi (ii),even if others may not be fully convinced ,. And Mallam Adamu Adamu still remains to me among the best more enlightened, educated and resourceful columnist not only among the Daily Trust Columnists, but among the best in the whole of Nigeria . Mallam Adamu Adamu keeps the flag flying by saying the truth to our leaders within Nigeria and other countries of the world.

Shehu Mustapha Chaji
shehuchaji@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment